Welcome to the St Paul North Area/Rookies Fastpitch website. The North Area Fastpitch and St Paul Rookies organizations merged during the fall of 2015, host teams from 10U through 18U, and include players from St Paul and the surrounding areas. Both organizations have been serving girls in these areas for many years (25+), and as one we will be able to continue doing so for many more.
Visit our About Us page for more information and to learn how you can get involved.
Check out the "2021 Rookies Tournament" tab at the top of the page for all pool play and bracket schedules. For updated scores throughout the weekend, check back on that tab or click the link below.
Please follow the "Tournament Details" link above throughout the course of the weekend for the most up to date information. The website will be the main source of truth for game times, locations, and opponents.
To all SPNAR Families –
After much reflection, surveys, board meetings, league meetings and the state of the metro area right now – the SPNAR Board has made the difficult decision to abstain from the 2020 summer fastpitch season. We understand that this has been a challenging situation to navigate and we appreciate your commitment to SPNAR. Please understand that this decision was not taken lightly and we’ve tried tirelessly to figure out a way to make this work for SPNAR and our players. The following are some of the primary reasons we came to this unfortunate conclusion:
1. As of June 4th, following June 2nd's Tri-County Meeting, we still have no guarantees that the summer season will even occur. They are supposed to receive a final answer by June 9th – however delays are likely, given the civil unrest in both St. Paul and Minneapolis.
2. Between Covid-19 and the current state of affairs in St. Paul and Minneapolis, there are no guarantees that we will have access to city fields. Additionally – these two situations alone are concerning for the safety and well-being of our players, coaches and parents.
3. We have had a number of coaches and players that have already elected to withdraw from the summer season. We sent out our survey over a week ago – and while we received feedback from many of you – some answered “no” and some answered “yes,” but it was also evident many of you answered reluctantly yes. Many families also completed their surveys prior to the civil unrest that sprouted after the death of George Floyd and it is possible that this event alone may likely change many of the “yes” responses to “no’s.”
4. Financially it really doesn’t put our organization in a favorable position going into the 2021 season – primarily due to the fact that our Tri-County League fees would remain the same regardless of the number of league games we play or not. Because we were unable to host our Rookies Tournament, this puts us in a financially compromising situation since we would not have the extra funds to offset costs and set us up for a financially successful 2021.
5. The experience alone for the girls would be complex. The MDH Guidelines while possible – will be very challenging to maintain. Additionally, many of the invitational tournaments our teams were planning to participate in have already been canceled.
It should be noted that Tri-County sent out a survey to organization directors to gauge their preference on how to best move forward for the summer. There were 5 different options that varied from condensing the summer season but continuing as usual to cancelling the entire summer season and either having some variation of a longer fall season or just a regular fall season. Well over half of the directors voted to at the very least cancel the summer season and continue with a fall season. Despite the results of the survey – Tri-County leaders are insistent that they try to play by the 15th. As mentioned above, it has been difficult to be pulled along while there continues to be no guarantees for a June 15th start date.
Some items we want to lay out for you are that players that wish to play this summer have the option to reach out to other organizations to play. Players will be exempt only for the 2020 summer season from needing a waiver to switch organizations, however if a player wishes to continue with the new organization for the Summer 2021 season – they will be required to obtain a waiver from SPNAR in order to continue with the new team. (Fall season does not require a waiver).
As for refunds – we will begin issuing them to families as soon as we receive our refunds from the Tri-County League. Please remember that SPNAR will be retaining a $50.00 fee per player to pay for our winter gym rentals. Those of you that have written volunteer deposit checks that haven’t been cashed, we will be tearing them up.
Our hope is to continue with a fall season assuming we are in a healthy state to do so. Please watch your inbox for information regarding fall ball. Additionally, please keep a lookout for 2021 tryout information. We usually host the first or second weekend in August.
We appreciate your support and wish we had better news. Stay healthy, stay safe, and we'll see you in the fall!
Thank you again,
Amy, Bradd, Kim, Ben, Steve, Preston, Pat, Nick, Vic